It’s time for another Home Depot monthly challenge! And this time, we’ve sweetened the pot and thrown in a $100 dollar gift card to Home Depot for one lucky person (see details below)! This month proved to be a bit challenging, but we pulled it off with little time to spare. For those of you who are just tuning in, me and a dozen or so super creative bloggers team up to hand-craft a fun gift using one item from Home Depot each month. This month, Amanda, over at Dwelling in Happiness, picked concrete and the lucky recipient is fittingly for a father.:)
*Home Depot in no way sponsors this post, we just spend a lot of time (and money) there, so we thought we’d blog about it.*
Here’s what we came up with: A concrete planter table. This quirky little number is going to be a gift for my wonderful father-in-law.
I have to admit, I left this challenge mostly up to my crafty hubby, Adam. In typical “Adam” fashion, he found some pretty obscure material for the table legs so that his creation was sure to be unique. He succeeded wonderfully with this leaf spring concrete planter table. What are leaf springs you ask? Apparently, you find them underneath some old cars supporting important engine stuff (I know, I sound pathetic) and they can also moonlight as table legs.
So, while you may not be able to easily whip this guy up on your own (unless you head over to the scrap yard and spend countless hours sifting through old steel), we wanted to show you how we (okay, Adam) made it.
What you need:
1. Concrete (we used this one from Home Depot)
3. 4 leaf springs
4. Spray paint
5. Thin wood to build a form for the concrete
6. Welder and proper welding materials
How we (Adam) did it:
1. We cheated a bit and used a piece of concrete that we had left over from when we put concrete counters in our kitchen two years ago.
2. Adam cut a 13×13 piece of concrete out of the slab below.
3. Then he welded four leaf springs onto a small piece of steel.
5. Using epoxy, he adhered the welded leaf springs onto the 13×13 piece of concrete.
6. Finally, he spray painted the table legs and voila! Easy as pie (especially if you’re the one not doing it).:)
Need some more inspiration (and perhaps a little more DIY-friendly projects :))? Head on over to these wonderful blogs below. They have blown me away again this month! And don’t forget to enter our give-a-way!
We’ll be back in July for another challenge; hope you are too! Happy almost summer and stay tuned for the lucky gift card winner.:)